21 August 2010

International Homeless Animals Day

In honor of International Homeless Animals Day, celebrated today, I will be posting today and in the coming days some cards regarding animal adoption. Animal adoption is a cause I greatly believe in.

The Humane Society of the United States estimates 6 - 8 million cats and dogs enter shelters every year.  3 - 4 million cats and dogs are euthanized in shelters every year.  Surprisingly, 25% of dogs in shelters are pure-bred.

Only 3,500 shelters exist in the U.S., leaving many homeless animals on the streets. Looking at the big picture, the size of the U.S. and the many homeless animals out there, 3,500 shelters are not enough.

I adopted my cat, Jasper, eight years ago at just ten weeks old, and I have never looked back.  Jasper is the best cat I have ever known and is the best thing that's ever happened to me.



With my ex, I adopted two dogs, the best dogs you could ask for.  Atticus was adopted from a no-kill shelter who had been born there and was eight months when we adopted him.  You see, black dogs (and black cats) are not often adopted. Gilbert was rescued during Hurricane Katrina, found along with other animals, in a trailer and locked in a cage, left to die. (Picture to come!)

Animals from shelters are some of the best animals you will ever know.  They are desperate for love and a home and deserve all the love in the world.  Consider adopting one of the many, many animals who need love and shelter. Save a life and make a friend for life.

A card I made in honor of International Homeless Animals Day and for the sake of all of the animals who need a home desperately.


1 comment:

Avitable said...

My last dog was from the pound, and if I get another pet in the future, it will be from there as well.