31 May 2010

What a weekend!

This weekend was spent with family on Friday and camping Saturday and Sunday.  My guy's mother and step-father as well as his brother & his girlfriend came down to visit us and we spent Friday with them.  We had not seen them since we moved three months ago.  It was nice to see them.  His mother, a real angel, brought me lots of crafty items.  I will have to take a picture of the items and post it soon.  I am just too tired to take & edit pictures this evening. 

This weekend was spent camping at an annual camping event that occurred about an hour and a half from us.  The event brought in about 2500 people and much artful expression.  We were able to see some friends from our previous home state two states and fifteen hours away.  We loved being able to catch up with and hang out with our friends. 

We got to the event Saturday evening, after spending all of Saturday shopping and packing up for a weekend of camping.  We checked out what we could prior to sunset and setting up camp and then enjoyed some time walking around.  It was nice to see the art people had created at their camps and to spend some time together, always very much appreciated and never taken for granted.

We went to bed fairly early for us (midnight-ish) and did our best to sleep in spite of the two "sound camps" on either side of our camp area (all of our friends camped together).  A "sound camp" is a camp whose contribution (entirely volunteer) is music via DJ'd music.  The music played day & night, pretty much 24/7, throughout the four-day event (since people were up at all hours, I'd imagine).  I slept deeply, a rare event for me, likely due to the heat and humidity in the tent; however, my guy did not sleep well because of the "sound camps." 

The heat and humidity were pretty overwhelming for campers, with temperatures upwards of 95 degrees and humidity around 20% to 30%, but we all made the best of it and enjoyed being there in spite of it.  It's hard not to enjoy an event filled with kind and interesting people, great art and artists, and good friends.

The river was a welcome spot in the camp area, many collected at beach and flat areas and swimming or standing in the river.  The occasional breeze and the shady spots were very appreciated as well.  I made sure that we walked around so I could take pictures of various camps and their art contributions (with regular breaks to go back to camp and sit in the shade while also hydrating heavily).  The weekend was challenging with the walking shoe/boot and a sore foot, but I was determined to fight through the painful moments, which I did. 

Sunday evening we decided to leave instead of leaving Monday morning as most campers do since my guy was not feeling terribly well and we both craved a good night's sleep and air conditioning and of course we missed the cat.  I cooked dinner on the camp stove, we ate, and then we packed up the car with our stuff. 

His brother & brother's girlfriend had also attended the event and they too chose to leave Sunday evening, so they also packed up their things.  They stayed a few hours later than us since my guy really was feeling awful, then they came to our home in the wee hours to spend the night before the long drive back to their home.  The air conditioning on the ride home was very nice, let me tell you!

We unpacked and brought up some of the things from the car, but we decided we would take care of the rest today (we didn't, so I imagine we will take care of it tomorrow).  I unpacked the coolers and made him a pizza since he was hungry, then we collapsed in the living room and watched one of our Netflix dvds.  We also made sure to give the kitty plenty of love too.  I have continued to give him as much love and as many pets as possible today.  He's my baby, you know.

Again, we went to bed much earlier than our usual time, very exhausted from the heat especially.  Luckily we had just gone to bed when his brother & his brother's girlfriend knocked to come in for the night, so we heard them and were able to let them in.  Good timing!  My guy & I slept like the dead and enjoyed sleeping in.  The day has been about complete relaxation and air conditioning.  

The cat has really loved having me home and has curled up next to me much of the day and evening, which has been really nice.  I refuse to get up when he is next to me, appreciating it so much.  I have made sure to take time amidst the blog reading and writing to give him lots of pets.  The day and evening has also, of course, been about my staying off of my foot for the most part, to give it a break. 

My foot did not feel the best during all of the walking, so I worried that it would set my healing process back some.  My foot seems to be doing pretty well in spite of that walking, though, which is great. 

I am going to return to blog reading and spending time loving on the cat asleep next to me.  Happy Memorial Day to those who have done their part to serve our country.

No comments: